Humans of New York in Democratic Republic of Congo.
On a 50 day trip across 10 countries, HONY’s current stop in in Kinshasa and Kasangulu of DRC.
- She said she’d let me take her photo if I bought some peanuts from her. Afterward, I asked if she could remember the saddest moment of her life. She laughed, and said: “You’re going to need to buy some more peanuts.”
- "I’d like them to be ministers or business people. But this one is supposed to start school this year, and I don’t have the money to send him."
- "I’m studying law. My dream is to be a judge one day. Too many people in this country are only in prison because they were too poor to defend themselves. When I’m a judge, I’ll look only at the facts, and not at the person."
- "I’m studying to be a lawyer. He likes books about frogs."
- "I’m embarrassed to say this, but I’ll say it. I’ve had a really hard time finding work, so I’ve been living with my grandmother. And she’s told me recently that she doesn’t have the money to feed me. So I’ve been eating at my friend’s house. I go over there, and I’m too embarrassed to ask for anything, but his dad always insists. He says: ‘Why aren’t you eating? Please, eat!’ This has really caused my idea of ‘family’ to widen. I’ve learned that your family can be anyone."
- "I want to discover the cure for Ebola."
Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
Dedicated to the Cultural Preservation of the African Aesthetic